Darlington County was formed in 1785. The county seat is in Darlington. It was originally part of the Cheraw District, and later (1888) part of it was given for Florence County and again (1902) to Lee County. Welsh, Scotch-Irish, and English farmers grew cotton in this area. Early settlers: David Rogerson Williams (1776-1830), Governor and scientific experimenter, James Lide Coker (1837-1918) and David R. Coker (1870-1938).