Thursday, June 8, 2017

The American Revolution was Told in Pension Records #southcarolinapioneersnet #genealogy

The Story of the American Revolution was Told in Pension Records

Battle of StonoWhen the Tories were encamped upon the Reedy River on Indian land, Charles Littleton was drafted to fight in the Revolutionary War for three months. Such was the situation of most patriots; they were first drafted to fight skirmishes near their home, then, as the war progressed, re-enlisted upon numerous occasions to fight in specific battles. Littleton was assigned to a company commanded by Captain William Gordon under Colonel John Lisle for a tour called "The Snow Campaign" which lasted from 8 December of 1775 to the end of that month. After he returned home he learned that the Tories were in Georgia, so he volunteered. They pursued this batch of Tories as far as the St. Mary's River and the Tories escaped to St. Augustine, Florida. Later, during June of 1779, Littleton was called into service to help repulse the British at Stono,South Carolina, however, were repulsed by the British. After a short while at home and when the British took Charleston on May 12, 1780, he was again called into service, this time under the command of General Andrew Pickens and was marched towards Camden, South Carolina where the Tories and British had collected in large bodies. General Pickens found himself unable to contend with the enemy, so ordered the army to disperse and to "make the best of their way to save themselves." Littleton returned home where he spent the night before being collected to march into North Carolina. He fought at the battle of Rocky Mount on July 30, 1780 and the Battle of Hanging Rock on August 6, 1780, then took possession of the ferry at Camden where his regiment remained for four days. Unfortunately, General Horatio Gates was defeated and General Sumpter was on the run being pursued by none other than Lt. Colonel Tarleton who handily defeated the Americans at Fishing Creek. Once again the army dispersed. But Littleton was in for the duration, so was collected at Charlotte in North Carolina for the purpose of reassembling at the fishing dam of the Broad River. From there they were marched to Blackstock Plantation on the Tyger River and were engaged once again by Tarleton and was the place where General Sumpter was wounded. From there, they marched to the Iron Works on Lawson Fork Creek near Spartanburg under the command of General Pickens. Littleton went on to fight in the battle of Cowpens on January 17, 1781 and afterwards, his regiment was ordered to remain on the field of battle in charge of the dead and wounded. Finally, Littleton was marched to Earles Station east of Tryon, North Carolina to engage the Indians on the frontier, which is were Littleton remained until peace was made. Source: Revolutionary War Pension of Charles Littleton, W8255.

Memberships has its benefits
Become a Member Click on Bundle and Save

Click on Subscribe

No comments: