Abbeville County Wills, Estates, Minutes, Land Grants
Abbeville County was part of Ninety-Six District where the old deed may be found. It became Abbeville County in 1785, with parts later divided into Greenwood (1897) and McCormick (1916) counties. The county and the county seat were both named for the French town, Abbeville. The county was settled primarily by Scotch-Irish and French Huguenot farmers in the mid-eighteenth century. After the treaty with the Cherokee Indians signed in 1777 at Dewitt's Corner (now Due West) with a flux ofScotch-Irish and French Huguenot farmers. Abbeville played a major role in the secession from the union of the southern states, and it is the site where the last Confederate council was held.
Early settlers: Andrew Hamilton, James Jordan, Patrick Forbis, James Moore, William McCaleb, William Young, James Maxwell, Thomas Coker, Tucker Woodson, William Brown, John Lawrence, Ralph Wilson, William Love, Thomas Shockley, William Love, Barnard Putnam, James Shirley, William Anderson, Richard Sadler, Benjamin Alderidge, John Nash, Adam Crain Jones, William Love, Joseph Brown and others. See Names in Abbeville Co. Wills and Estates